View GeoPDF Files in ArcMap

07-28-2010 02:56 PM
Labels (1)
DouglasCaldwell
New Contributor III

GeoPDF formatted data represents a large and growing source of information. The US Geological Survey is creating all new US Topo products in GeoPDF format and the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency is releasing scanned map products in GeoPDF format.

It would be a great help if ArcMap would be able to display these GeoPDF products ... at least as a background map ... if not exploit their content further.

118 Comments
DaveTewksbury
With the demise of the USGS Seamless site and the increasing amount of data ported to The National Map, including all topogrpahic quads now being in GeoPDF format, not just the historic ones, the lack of support for GeoPDFs in ArcGIS is becoming a real issue. The National Atlas data is also being ported to The National Map in September 2014 so potentially quite a bit more data may be available only in GeoPDF format as well.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, it sure would be nice to access this data directly in ArcGIS rather than having to jump through conversion hoops to get it into a format that Arc will recognize.

Current work flow is opening GeoPDFs in Global Mapper and then exporting them as GeoTIFFs with a World file so the data can be used in Arc.

One more voice in the wilderness trying to get this serious issue recognized.
ChrisSlinko
Yes, that would be awsome and a no brainer.  If USGS is putting data as a geopdf that ArcMap should support it.
AndrewJohnson
You can export as GeoPDF but not display it... Shocking. 
ChrisSlinko
Viewing geopdf's in ArcMap would be great especially when you don't have Global mapper.  Does anyone know if and when it will happen.
NicoleDarnell
Four years ago this topic was brought up and we still don't have this functionality?  I don't get it.
MaryLoftfield
We should do this. It would save me about a week of work on my current project.
RebeccaAmbers
With such a huge USGS dataset out there now, it is ridiculous that it has taken ESRI so long to get with the program and provide an easy way to add these datasets to a map project in such a way that they come in with georeferencing.  Please get on with it!
StewartJefferys
Rather embarrassing ESRI. Australia's topographic map series has also been in GeoPDF format for years. TerraGo and Global Mapper are the only solutions
BillWinston
Add me to the long list of folks wondering why this has not been resolved.  What is the hold-up?  GeoPDF should at least be an option for basemap display.
SharaHayes
With the investment I made recently to purchase ArcMap 10.3, it appears it was silly of me to assume that GeoPDF would be an import option, I am very curious to know when this function will be initiated in ArMap, and if not, then what is a valid reason why?