Select to view content in your preferred language

Use shift key to constrain movement, rotation of layout elements

12-09-2021 03:12 PM
Labels (1)
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor II

When moving or rotating an element, hold Shift to constrain the item to parallel, perpendicular, or 45-degree movements or rotations.

10 Comments
by Anonymous User

I find myself moving elements using my keyboards arrow keys most of the time. Its the only way I can get things looking even and accurate.

KoryKramer

Using guides and snap to guides will help keep elements lined up!

wayfaringrob

@KoryKramer  Right, but that's not useful when you just need to move something in a straight line. For example, if you have items in a group that you've aligned with the alignment tools but need to space apart, it would be a huge pain to have to create a bunch of guides for every single element - especially when guides go by the ruler, not the current location of your object. Every other page layout software - even Office - has this feature, and it would be a big help in ArcGIS. It takes a frustrating amount of time and effort to align stuff in ArcGIS Pro that takes only seconds in something like Illustrator or InDesign.

wayfaringrob

@Anonymous User  Right. I also find it unintuitive to have to hold shift to move stuff, and when you go the keyboard route, you don't get snapping or guide functionality. Plus, if you've selected an item in a group from the TOC, the keyboard isn't active in the map frame, and clicking in the map frame re-selects the whole group again. So frustrating.

KoryKramer

Thanks for the details @wayfaringrob My comment wasn't related to your idea, rather was a generic response to "Its the only way I can get things looking even and accurate."

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Under Consideration

AZendel

Yes, please! This is so handy in other graphics programs. In addition to 0, 45, 90 degrees, it's be nice to have 30 and 60 degrees too. 

WDMParkPlanner

This seems like a basic feature to have and should be included as soon as possible. Thanks!

KoryKramer

@WDMParkPlanner make sure to add your support for the idea by giving it kudos.

wayfaringrob

@WDMParkPlanner 

This seems like a basic feature to have

agree with you. Standard in every other WYSIWYG program I have ever used.