Turn off notifications permanently

08-24-2021 12:30 PM
Labels (1)
GregFiske
Occasional Contributor

Create an option for users to turn off notifications permanently.

19 Comments
CarlinAndrus

Same issue in some of my Pro projects - when starting up I get multiple slow scrolling transformation warnings that take many seconds to appear/disappear when Pro is started ("A datum transformation cannot be found").  The warning notification also doesn't indicate which map is affected so it's not helpful.  I don't mind the notification in the sidebar but I don't want the pop-ups to appear nor for it to slow down the startup process.

The warning I am receiving is for the lack of transformation between imagery I have in GCS_NAD83_1986 and NAD 1983.

CarlinAndrus_1-1632407072123.png

CarlinAndrus_0-1632406819425.png

BojanŠavrič

Hi @CarlinAndrus:

This may not be the exact point of this thread, but one way to address this issue is also correcting geographic coordinate system (GCS) definition in which your dataset is defined, GCS_NAD83_1986. 

Original NAD 1983 GCS has many aliases that are used across the GIS community. One of them is probably also GCS_NAD83_1986, which is not in our database of synonyms. Therefore, software is treating this definition as a custom GCS, which does not have any predefined transformation to other GCS in the list of predefined GCS-es. The result is a missing transformation path and the warning.

One way to fix this is to use Define Projection tool and correct GCS definition of your dataset to NAD 1983. This will resolve the conflict and transformation will no longer be required in your case. You can do this once on the dataset and it will fix it for every map in the project if that map is using "fixed" dataset.

In case you cannot change GCS definition or you wish to keep it, you can also create a custom transformation between GCS_NAD83_1986 and NAD 1983. You can do this with Create Custom Geographic Transformation tool and providing appropriate transformation between your custom GCS of your data and GCS of your map.

I hope this helps...

KelleeKoenig

@BojanŠavrič that makes sense, but with over a dozen layers in my current project from various sources, it's hard to know which dataset is causing this issue (since the warning doesn't specify). 

GregFiske

Fixing the projection issue(s) is definitely a way to make the warning go away.  But likewise, I have dozens of maps in dozens of Pro projects that generate this type of notification.  Some projects will roll through the notifications for several minutes before they become active.  It would be so much better to just have the ability to turn them off. 

GregFiske

Hi - wondering if there's an update on this topic?

Thanks!

RossCBrewer

Same issue here.  Infuriating

by Anonymous User

I'd like to promote the original intent of this Idea. Allow users to disable notifications and popups forever.

Obligatory XKCD. 

For me it'd be a bonus to get rid of the bell icon as well.

ChrisDibden

The Notifications functions seems to be the answer to a question NOBODY was asking. These sorts of functions should all be turned off at the Options page by default and allow the user to choose which ones, if any to turn on.

NormBetland

I want to jump in and say I have the exact same problem. The larger a project is and the more maps it contains, the more notifications it generates and the longer it takes to become responsive. I am well aware of the transformation issue. I do not need to see these notifications all the time. Please allow me to shut them off.