Toolbox format for new projects

11-17-2021 02:28 PM
Labels (1)
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Provide the option for new projects to create the default toolbox in either the *.tbx (legacy) or *.atbx (new) format.

8 Comments
DuncanHornby

@DanPatterson  you beat me to this idea! I spotted today when you create a new project from start or save a project that did not start from a template the default toolbox format is tbx. It would make sense that ArcPro creates the new atbx format as it appears to be a future proofed format.

MarcoBoeringa

@DanPatterson  you beat me to this idea! I spotted today when you create a new project from start or save a project that did not start from a template the default toolbox format is tbx. It would make sense that ArcPro creates the new atbx format as it appears to be a better future proofed format.

Maybe ESRI is still "testing the waters" a bit with this brand new toolbox format, and didn't consider it wise yet to switch the default format.

Frankly, considering ESRI's track record with "new" stuff, I can't blame them for that.

DanPatterson

It wasn't a "switch" but provide the "option" between *.atbx and *.tbx.  Right now, you have to overtly make a new one in that format and you are stuck with the project *.tbx as an extra

*.atbx is very interesting.... a blog coming soon 😉

DuncanHornby

@DanPatterson wrote:

*.atbx is very interesting.... a blog coming soon 😉

Has Christmas come early? Exciting! Look forward to reading the blog.

DrewFlater
Status changed to: Implemented

This was implemented along with ENH-000138309  in Pro 3.0.

DanPatterson

ENH-000138309

Provide a better error message when a Python Toolbox is chosen Default toolbox in ArcGIS
Pro

Must be a different number

DrewFlater

@DanPatterson  that's the right issue. Instead of implementing a different error message for this condition, we just implemented it to allow PYT or ATBX 🙂

DanPatterson

ahhh ! clear now