Select to view content in your preferred language

The move to tool needs Z as optional

07-06-2022 09:01 PM
Labels (1)
DamienPyne
Frequent Contributor

ArcGIS Pro has the "move to" tool but this requires all 3 values to be populated (XYZ).  It would be beneficial if you could choose which of these are required for the move.  In our utility network model, we have modelled our network in 3D - like the real world.

At time users pull the pole sites for various reasons and then need to put the site back together.  Enhancing this tool would allow the user to pull apart the site, do the modifications, then set only the X and Y values to pull the data back together.

5 Comments
Scott_Harris
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@DamienPyne 

Which method of the Move To tool are you referring to? There are 3 methods: Absolute, Delta, Direction/Distance.

None of the methods require you to populate all values. For example, I can move a feature in the X direction only using the Delta method. Or I can change the X and Y values, while leaving the Z value the same using the Absolute method.

Perhaps something else is going on with your data that is preventing you from only changing the X and Y values with the tool?  Perhaps an attribute rule?

DamienPyne

Thanks @Scott_Harris 

I should have included above, we are using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.4 on enterprise 10.8.1, UNM v3.

The team are trying to use the absolute, as they know the location of the pole.

I will follow up further with the staff.  You are correct that it does work, if you don't click in the unrequired field (ie clear the z and edit x or y).  Our first issue was all 3 values were populated, and Z being last when cleared, remained red as mandatory.

Our next challenge with this tool (maybe a different thread is needed), we can get the objects to move, but they are moving relative to the parent association, and the points connected to lines, do not move the line vertex with the point.

Scott_Harris

@DamienPyne Regarding Move To disconnecting connected features - that was addressed at 2.9:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.9/help/editing/utility-network-reference-for-editing.htm#ESRI_SE...

At 2.9, Editing tools that modify utility network features now include a Stretch Topology command a Disconnect command (for when you actually want to disconnect - otherwise leave it unchecked).

DamienPyne

Thanks @Scott_Harris 

Scott_Harris
Status changed to: Already Offered

Summary:

None of the methods of the Move To tool require you to populate all values. For example, you can move a feature in the X direction only using the Delta method. Or you can change the X and Y values, while leaving the Z value the same using the Absolute method.