Support to generate label with text-rotation-alignment and symbol with icon-rotation-alignment for Vector Tiles

03-30-2020 06:53 AM
TomYeung
New Contributor II

Does Vector Tiles generated from ArcGIS Pro can support label with text-rotation-alignment and symbol with icon-rotation-alignment? Such that user can choose whether the text and symbol rotation is align to map or display? If not support, any plan to support in the future?

Currently, the output vector tile generated from ArcGIS Pro when displaying with JS API, point label rotation will always align to display x-y axis and point symbol rotation will always align to display x-y axis as well. I want the output vector tile text label and icon symbol rotation can align with map east-west axis when displaying with JS API. So when I rotating the map view in JS API, the text label and icon symbol rotation can align with map east-west axis instead of keeping align to display x-y axis.

Thank you.

5 Comments
KoryKramer

At this point, this is a question, rather than an Idea, so might be best asked in the ArcGIS Pro‌ space. 

Have you looked at General label settings—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation ?

TomYeung

This setting seems does not have any effect on setting whether the output vector tile text label and symbol rotation will align to map or display. The output vector tile when displaying with JS API, point label rotation will always align to display and point symbol rotation will always align to display as well. I want the output vector tile text label and icon symbol rotation can align with map east-west axis when displaying with JS API. So when I rotating the map view in JS API, the text label and icon symbol rotation can align with map east-west axis instead of keeping align to display x-y axis.

KoryKramer

Thanks for the additional details, Tom.  Neither the title nor the description mentioned vector tiles...  so the request falls more in line with https://community.esri.com/ideas/12702 but if you want to make it specific about supporting rotation (specific is always more actionable than general) I'd recommend updating the title and description to clarify the request.

Thanks!

TomYeung

Title and description updated. Thank you.

TimAlbert

Symbol rotation to match map rotation using vector tiles seems to be consistent in both ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online.   Rotate the map and the vector tile symbol does not rotate with it.

My use case is I have created a vector tile layer to place arrows along lines to indicate water flow direction.   Since I can't create directional line types in ArcGIS Online and Vector tiles draw so quickly this has been an excellent solution in ArcGIS Online.

Until I started using the new map viewer and Experience Builder and allowed users to rotate the map view.   My regular feature layer symbols (Square Catch Basin) rotate with the map view, but the Vector Tile flow arrows do not. (See Image).   This makes using the Vector Tile layer to indicate flow direction show incorrect information.

Vector Tile Question.png

For my use case I need to have Vector Tile Symbols work like regular marker symbols in both ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online.