Standard Toolbar Docking on Map Side of Table of Contents

10-28-2010 11:57 AM
Labels (1)
StephenSavage1
New Contributor II

In previous versions of ArcGIS, we had the ability to vertically dock  toolbars to the map side of the table of contents.  This appears to not be available in the newest version of 10.  I (and I am sure others) prefer to have that toolbar toward the map window, because that is the area I work in with that toolbar. 

38 Comments
RandyWard
This "downgrade" has absolutely killed our productivity. What were they thinking? I resisted v10 for over a year for this very reason. In fact, we keep a machine running 9.3.1 as a work around.  
RandyWard
I found a work around! Size the ArcMAP window so there's enough room on the left for the TOC. Then undock the TOC and move it to that location. Next, take a toolbar and dock it to the left hand side of the arcmap window.

I hope this helps someone. I have used these for forums for years, but this is my first chance to give a little something back.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like:
0EM30000000Cwqa
BobPerham
I had it working in 10 on XP, but just switched to Windows 7 and it doesn't work.  Really I can't get any of my toolbars to stay were I want them.  I've stop fixing it each time I open ArcMap and have accepted my punishment.
BobPerham
I just saw mrcoaster's work around.  Basically have the TOC float to the left of the entire arcmap app and dock your toolbar.  I have dual monitor so I actually put my TOC on the opposite screen.
Yao_BertinKOUADIO
Definitely; I vote YES for this! On my small screen Thinkpad I usually put toolbars vertically to try keeping the display area balanced in height and width. That optimizes the display area and increases keep visual balance.  YES bring it back.
FrankPanaro
ESRI has done this on a regular basis over the years, taken away functionality for no good reason. I used to love working in layout view with vertically docked Drawing toolbar to the right of the TOC and some other layout related bars as well. Nope, no good reason, can't vertically dock toolbars now. ESRI you suck sometimes, sorry...
AndrewQuee

We (DPIPWE) also prefer the vertical general toolbar for the most part.  Our workaround is to undock the TOC and have it floating on a second monitor, with ArcMap maximised on the primary monitor.  As our workflows do not generally involve a lot of messing around with the layers, and our editors predominantly use separate 'template' working documents for each task they prefer to have everything set up and ready to go, with the toolbar in the place of the TOC.

This also has the advantage of maximising the map pane.

MichaelGrossman
Status changed to: Closed

No significant feature updates are planned for the ArcGIS Desktop 10.x applications.