Select to view content in your preferred language

Specify FC name and spatial type when pasting objects in Catalog

06-30-2022 03:13 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

When copy/pasting an object in Catalog:

We should  be presented with a window to define the name of the object as part of the pasting process. We shouldn’t need to go looking for the object in Catalog and rename it after-the-fact, which can be a nuisance in GDBs with hundreds of objects.

We should also have the option to specify the spatial type as part of the pasting process. For example, ST_GEOMETRY vs. SDO_GEOMETRY, etc.

I'm aware those things can be done through GP tools, instead of copy/pasting. But copy/pasting is often the preferred method for duplicating FCs, rather than using GP tools. So it would be nice if that functionality could be added to copy/paste.

I think ArcMap had that functionality, at least when copy/pasting in the same GDB when there’d be a name conflict (we can’t have two objects with the same name). If I remember correctly, Pro handles that scenario by automatically adding a “_1” suffix to the name, which isn’t ideal. I’d rather define the new name myself.

3 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hi @Bud You can control the output name of the pasted feature class by using Paste Special. See https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/overview/copy-feature-datasets-class... 

KoryKramer_0-1656629126239.png

You have a second idea wrapped into this request, "We should also have the option to specify the spatial type as part of the pasting process. For example, ST_GEOMETRY vs. SDO_GEOMETRY, etc." 

Given that specifying the feature class name is possible using Paste Special, do you want to modify the title and description of the idea so that it is specific to the geometry change request? Or we could close this one and you could submit a new idea specific to that. Let me know.

Thank you

Bud
by

@KoryKramer Thanks. I didn't know about the Paste Special functionality.

It looks like Paste Special also lets us specify the spatial type too — via the "Config. Keyword" picklist:

Bud_0-1656635915532.png

So I think you can change the status for this entire idea (both for renaming and spatial types) to "Functionality already exists".

Thanks for your help.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Already Offered

Sounds good. Thanks @Bud