Select to view content in your preferred language

Single fie naming enhancement when exporting map series layouts.

11-16-2023 07:19 AM
Labels (1)
JaronJensen7
Occasional Contributor

It would be nice to be able to use a field as the file name when exporting single pages of a map series. In 3.1 I was able to use a field that I created as the file name when I exported each page into a pdf. This was needed cause each page was its own individual work order as built that contains its own information for that specific work order.

In 3.2 the functionality to export a single pdf, and use that specified field as the page suffix/file name was removed. It was extremely useful to be able to say that a certain field was the page number in the map series. Then when exporting each page I could say to export the map series page with the suffix added. I would then leave the file location just as the folder that I wanted and it would export each page with the file name that I had already created. I didn't have to rename each page, and I export hundreds of these files each year so renaming adds a lot of time.

The file name field was created in a model done in another process, so it wasn't something I had to create either.

I had to go back to 3.1 to get this functionality back.

This is the field I used as page number in map series: 

JaronJensen7_0-1700147268037.png

Map Series setting that put file name as page number: 

JaronJensen7_1-1700147372338.png

Map Series setting when in the export layout pane:

JaronJensen7_2-1700147429092.png

Where and how I would tell it to export: 

JaronJensen7_3-1700147510408.png

How the file would be exported with the file name: 

JaronJensen7_4-1700147603075.png

3 Comments
AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@JaronJensen7 the functionality to export to a single PDF wasn't removed, it's still an option in the dropdown. Are you not seeing it? If so that sounds like a bug not an idea. 

JaronJensen7

@AubriKinghorn 

I did see that I could still export a single pdf at a time. When I do that though it will not add the page number (file name field) as a suffix to the file, even with that option selected and turned on. The only way I could get it to add the suffix (file name field) was by having multiple pages selected to export. 

The problem with that is that I have to verify that certain data is on the pdf and correct, so trying to select many pages to export becomes a problem.

An other issue with the 3.2 version is that it does not allow for no file name in the folder path. Even with adding a space in the folder path it adds an underscore on the exported pdf file.

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Open