Select to view content in your preferred language

Simple Navigator Snapping

03-05-2024 08:00 AM
Labels (1)
TysonPhillips
Emerging Contributor

I am often viewing data at different locations and it makes things much cleaner looking and viewable with a specific map rotation at each location. Currently needing to right click on the map in the TOC and select Properties and then typing in the desired rotation for the location I am currently working with. Working with one or two locations isn't too bad but when I'm jumping around to a dozen of them it gets tedious and I have to have a separate file or printout of the desired rotations. My idea was to be able to set snap points on the Navigator so that when I jump to a location, I can easily grab the bezel and swing the map around to about where I want it and it will click right in.

5 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@TysonPhillips you indicated needing to enter specific rotation values, and then you talk about having some sort of "inferred" snapping in the navigator control. 

Would this idea alone help? https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/ability-to-see-and-update-map-rotation-angle-on/idi-p...

Or do you also need the snapping in the control? What rotation values are you using? For snapping, would you expect 45 and multiples? 90 and multiples, or snapping to smaller rotation degree increments?

TysonPhillips

@KoryKramer Having the "old" box in the toolbar (or along with the Navigator as suggested in the post) would certainly speed up the process a little bit as far as ease of access. 

As a clarification on exactly the way I'm using the process. I've figured out that a rotation of 359.44 is the value I need to square up one of my locations on the map and when I change to another location, I need a rotation of 230.68 to square it on the screen. Each location has it's own rotation value.

In my head, the ultimate way this would work is that I Zoom To the first location and set the rotation the normal way using the map Properties. Then I would do something like right click on the Navigator and have an option to Set Snap or something similar. Then Zoom To the second location and repeat the process. Then, whenever I moved to a particular location, I could just grab the Navigator bezel and spin it to the snap point for that location. No need to enter sub-menus or keep a handy cheat sheet of rotations (after that first round of setup anyway). 

KoryKramer

@TysonPhillips from what you've described, would bookmarks work? Bookmarks store the rotation so when you zoom to a feature by going to it's bookmark, you get the desired rotation.

Rotation Bookmarks.gif

TysonPhillips

@KoryKramer I am not aware or familiar with Bookmarks. I will definitely be checking them out! They look like they would do what I'm looking for. Thank you!

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Closing this for now as it seems bookmarks will provide the needed functionality.