Set default 'Zoom to Selected Features' scale (for point features)

05-05-2014 07:38 AM
Labels (1)
CraigCarsley
Occasional Contributor II

As it is now....
When Zoom to Selected Features is used for a single, point feature, the zoom scale is calculated as 1/20 the overall spatial extent of the layer.  

In cases where the feature class has hundreds of thousands of features (e.g. Address Points), this zoom function loses all of its value.  

I would like to see an option for a default, or maximum zoom extent setting in cases where I want to zoom to a single, selected, point feature.

5 Comments
JohnathanRush
I'd like to have a maximum zoom and a default zoom option for the Zoom to Selected Features tool. I have this issue for all kinds of features - lines and polys as well as points.
ErinFashoway
I agree, I think it would be very useful to be able to set this permanently or per .mxd session.  I work for one of the largest states and work with many statewide datasets, however I also work on regional datasets, and this would be VERY HELPFUL.
ErinFashoway
I agree, I think it would be very useful to be able to set this permanently or per .mxd session.  I work for one of the largest states and work with many statewide datasets, however I also work on regional datasets, and this would be VERY HELPFUL.
KaylaFolkins
A work-around is to re-set the 'full extent' of the data frame; it may take a little experimenting but for address points I found a starting scale of 12,500 works well. Then:
  • Rt-Clk Layers in TOC, select Data Frame
  • Select: Extent Used by Full Extent Command/Other/Specify Extent
  • Select: Current Visible Extent
While this will cause the 'Full Extent' button to zoom to this view, using the 'Zoom to Layer' option on any large feature is an alternative to getting quickly to near full extent.  It is a good compromise in order to get a selected point zoomed to at a useful scale.

Hope this helps,
klf
BrianOevermann

I agree with the comments above. I have a ~12 sq. mile area city and my selected address point still gets lost. I can't imagine functioning with a state-wide dataset!

I see a benefit for adding 2 (possibly 3) options to the selection pane in Options:

Points, and lines/polygons (or split those out separately) - give option for a default scale or 'zoom to extent of selection' for each.

1/20th of the overall extent seems like lazy programming from someone who has never used the software (or done by direction of someone in the same situation). I can't think of any scenario in my daily work where that kind of zoom to selection is effective.