Select multiple fields to delete when importing a feature class schema

11-15-2019 10:28 AM
Labels (1)
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Using ArcGIS Pro, a common practice to import another feature class's schema when creating a new one.  However, if you want to create a 'feature class lite' it's painful to delete out the fields you don't want from the template to the new feature class. Being able to select multiple fields and subsequently delete them all at once would be really cool....

4 Comments
RobertBorchert

A simple solution for now would be to import the feature class. Then in pro right click the feature class and select design and fields.  you can select all your fields you want to remove and hit the delete button.

JoeBorgione

Good thought.  Thanks!

RobertBorchert

For me one of the great advantages to Personal Geodatabase was the ability to open it in MS Access. There you can do intricate MS Access queries, delete fields, re-order them, generate more complex reports, etc...

If I have a feature class I need to rework heavily I still import the schema into a .mdb via Catalog and make my changes in MS Access.  Them bring the schema back to a .gdb and continue on.

JoeBorgione

Yeah... Well... I don't see that as an option anytime soon!  I've been trying to get rid of the fields, and keep getting a schema lock.  Total PITA....