Select by Symbology

03-06-2014 05:15 PM
Labels (1)
DanielMakridakis
New Contributor III

So often do I have a defined symbology based on 3 categories and want to make a selection of a particular set but I'm forced to use select by attribute. It would be nice to be able to right click on a symbology item in the TOC and just choose select records.

e.g. I have created a symbology base on 3 categories and realize there are some weird anomalies in my attributes that I didn't expect. I want to then investigate what features these are and if then need to be corrected. Rather than use select by attribute and have to create indivdual queries, it would be much more time efficient to select each of these anomaly categories in the TOC and investigate that way.

3 Comments
ColeAndrews

Desktop will show you the count of features falling in to each symbology class. So yes, add the ability to select and/or view the table records driving those feature counts without setting up completely independent select by attribute statements.

wayfaringrob

Sometimes when editing a dataset, it is convenient to have all of one sort of feature selected to make a batch edit to the attributes, run a tool, or see where these features lie spatially. This can be accomplished easily with the select by attributes tool, but what about when you're already symbolizing by those attributes? A context menu option to select matching features -- 'Select features in this class' or 'Select features in this heading' would streamline this process and save several clicks/redoing work. Rather than navigating to the select by attribute tool and manually rebuilding your query, a context menu option would execute a simple SQL query right from the symbology pane.

The Unique Values symbology pane is already capable of giving a count of features within each class, let's expand that by allowing users to select those features directly.

rburkebsrc_0-1663602492072.png

AmeliaBradshaw

Hello @wayfaringrob , 

Thank you for posting this Idea! As your Idea was requesting the same functionality as this older Idea, I have merged the two together. Please add your kudos to this Idea to make sure your vote counts. 

Thank you, 

Amelia