Save a Selection Set

06-21-2010 01:53 PM
Labels (1)
WalterKeyes
New Contributor II

I would like to have the ability to name and save/manage a selected set of features similar to saving Bookmarks.

In the same light, have a button that will allow me to "Reselect Previous".  If I have a challenging selection made and I hit the wrong key, I have to reprocess my selection again.  I would like the ability to reselect the same "last" features on the fly without building a model.

11 Comments
CarlosIsaac_Cabrera
 I like this idea, I've made a similar request and its nice to see another person that can see the use of it.
DavidKnudsen
I have also made missteps after a complex, sequential selection and had to start all over again. I reflexively consider trying to "undo" and then realize that I can't.
JasonHart
Have you looked at saving the selection as a seperate layer.  It will create a layer of only the selected features.  It can be saved and re-added like any layer. 

0EM30000000CkNG
MichaelHillig
This is a great idea and I totally agree.
RussellGaulin1
A related but similar idea, I could not find a thread for this:

Preserve the selection on a table regardless of editing state.

Why, pray tell, must a selection be lost when one enters or exits edit mode?  My idea: don't do that!  (It is an "Aarrgghh moment every time it happens.), could this be difficult to do?
JanetBrewster
Similar to rigaulin's comment, the "Create Layer from Selected Features" is not a stable environment. If the base layer that the features were selected from is edited in any way, even if that edit doesn't involve any of the selected features, the selection goes wonky. You'll end up with selected features that you didn't select. And even worse, there's no error, warning, or anything to give you a heads up that something has changed...!

It's such a great feature -- saves us from creating unnecessary feature classes -- but it's just not reliable.
KenCarrier
If doing a large selection and forgetting to hold down the shift key you lose previous selected features, a way to hit undo for the selection would really be handy. Hard to tell how much productivity it might save but I think many of us could admit we are guilty of doing this at one point or another. So in my case I agree with the go back to previous selection button for the map which is a merged idea in this case.
ZacharyOrdo__GISP
This should have been implemented years ago.
MizukiKayano2

Our organization would significantly benefit from this enhancement. We are working with the parcel fabric in ArcGIS Pro. In ArcMap, we had the ability to save our selections by using something called a job book in Parcel Editor. We often spend a significant amount of time creating a selection in order to apply a least squares adjustment, then need to analyze the results before we apply them. During the analysis we may add or remove parcel to selections, perform edit/clean up activities on related lines, add or modify control points to participate in an adjustment; re-running adjustment tool after each change until an optimum result is reached. 

In ArcGIS Pro, we have been using Tasks to save our selections and reapply them at different stages of our work. This works well, but it would certainly be an advantage to be able to save selections when outside of a task as well. Within the task, we have to keep clicking back in order to re-apply the selection, and if we want to add or remove from the selection, we have to make sure we are on the step in the task that saves the selection set, so it is not quite so straight forward in a task as one may initially think. 

ChrisWozniak

I agree, this would be a huge QOL improvement!

Sure, you can 'save a selection as a layer' to store the selection in memory, but only as a layer. If we wanted all features in that layer to be our current active selection again, we have to first right click -> selections -> select all.

I think that a set of buttons that allow you reselect previous selection sets (say that five times) would be very helpful. Ideally, they could function similarly to the to the previous/next extent navigation buttons:

ChrisWozniak_0-1707926794283.png

Additionally, perhaps the selection processes could be implemented into the project-wide undo/redo actions.