Select to view content in your preferred language

Query Layers: Show Field Properties

09-05-2023 10:11 AM
Labels (1)
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

On 2.9

For reference: Query Layers: View fields and field properties - Esri Community

I want to be able to see field properties in query layers.

The option is currently greyed out, meaning that I have to go back to the source table(s) to figure out (for example) if that number column is actually numbers or text. Ditto to view domains.

AlfredBaldenweck_0-1693933803829.png

4 Comments
Bud
by

To prove this point, we are able to see the field properties of database views in ArcGIS Pro (2.6.8):

Bud_0-1695147165109.png

Query layers and database views are normally treated similarly in ArcGIS Pro. So, like you, I would have expected the Fields view to work for query layers, just like database views.

As a last-resort workaround, I suppose you could temporarily create a database view from the query layer SQL, take a look at the Fields properties of the database view, and then delete the database view. That's pretty ugly though.

AlfredBaldenweck

So, at UC today I asked about this and it looks like our not being able to see the fields of a Query Layer   from the Hamburger menu in the attribute table is a bug of some sort; you can view the fields if you to the Data tab, for example. 

Hopefully this should get fixed!

Bud
by

@AlfredBaldenweck Interesting. Would it help to submit a case to support to get a bug report created?

AlfredBaldenweck

I did at UC, so hopefully I’ll get a phone call in the next week or two! The good news is that while I was explaining to Esri staff prior to filing a support case, we were able to replicate the issue in 3.3