Patch Sizes OUTSIDE of Layout View

11-21-2023 03:31 PM
Labels (1)
MErikReedAugusta
Occasional Contributor III

When we produce a Layout, we can control the patch size that displays on the Legend item, but not the patch style/shape, because that's controlled by the symbology definition.

Outside of a Layout (e.g., the Contents Pane of a map view, the Create Features & Manage Templates panes), it's the reverse: You can control the patch style/shape, but not its size.

This causes a huge (pun not intended) issue where different parts of the UI don't allow enough space to adequately see the symbology of the element you're working with.

In a current project, I have multiple different line symbologies where the arrowhead on the line is identical (or near-identical), but the body of the line is very different.  See example below, which has two different kinds of features meeting:

MErikReedAugusta_0-1700609122079.png

Here are their two options in the Table of Contents in Map View:

• MErikReedAugusta_2-1700609194670.png
  • MErikReedAugusta_3-1700609220351.png

An identical issue crops up in the Create Features and Manage Templates panes, which makes it much more difficult to tell at a glance than it should.

Even when I try to change the patch style/shape, in hopes of being able to see a bit more of the line under the arrowhead, the extremely cramped space means I just get a jumble of elements, rather than a coherent symbol, as seen here:

MErikReedAugusta_4-1700609351739.png

Back in the ArcMap/Desktop days, I could actually set the patch sizes for the Map View Table of Contents, but I have yet to find this anywhere in Pro, despite a few weeks of searching off & on:

MErikReedAugusta_5-1700609402685.png

Personally, I'd even be content if there could just be a project-wide (or less happily, an application-wide) setting to set the patch size for all non-Layout elements.

2 Comments
RoseF
by

I'm not sure if these properties of the contents pane -- the patch size, specifically -- is an option any more in Pro. We have used larger patch sizes in ArcMap because we have polygons that have similar patterns in them and it's helpful to be able to see a larger patch of the pattern. I hope if this capability is not part of Pro now that it will be added in the future.

Out of curiosity, @MErikReedAugusta , have you tested importing an ArcMap .mxd into Pro to see if those settings carry over?

MErikReedAugusta

I haven't tried an import, yet; that would be interesting to test, if only to indicate whether the functionality appears to be there in the background.

As far as I can tell, though, it's no longer exposed in the foreground.