Select to view content in your preferred language

Open dialog on same screen as ArcGIS Pro

03-10-2023 09:36 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 3.1

I'm creating a .LYRX layer file by right-clicking the Contents layer >> Sharing >> Save as Layer File:

Bud_1-1678469504586.png

When using a computer with two screens, the Save Layer File dialog pops up on a different screen than ArcGIS Pro.

When using big screens, I don't always notice that the window has popped up on a different screen. 

Screen1: ArcGIS Pro
Screen2: Save Layer File dialog

Bud_0-1678469441161.png

Idea:
Is there anything Esri can do to make dialogs pop up in the same screen as ArcGIS Pro? 

21 Comments
ZeminDhanani

@BradleyThompson1 I am referring to all pop ups windows as mentioned in the original post. 

I am simply requesting that rather than open these pop ups/windows/dialog boxes in the last used screen by default, allow an option in the back stage setting to anchor all Pro pop ups/dialog box/windows to the main screen where Pro is currently being used. 

KevinMorrissey1

Referring to this comment: 

Details:
The %localappdata%\ESRI\ArcGISSettings.xml file holds modal dialog locations and sizes where it was last used at.  That file is updated when you close Pro. by @JonathanNeal   

Is this xml file similar to the normal.mxt file in that it can be deleted forcing a rebuild and reset of the windows, among other settings? or would that not be advisable. 

LuisLaredo

Surely the relative size and location can be maintained and not create chaos by simply having the windows pop up on that x,y point in the active ArcGIS Pro screen only, not the overall desktop space.  And also, it should made active and take focus.  It's absolutely no good for it to pop up behind another window on another screen.  
Have had a user who has a pop-up popping up outside the available desktop space and the only way to access it is by Alt+Space and Maximise.  For a week they were thinking ArcGIS Pro had crashed and killing it via Task Manager.

Bud
by

To elaborate on @LuisLaredo's  Alt+Space workaround:

After googling "Alt+Space" "arcgis pro" I see now that there are more steps:

“…Press alt-space and then the 'm' key, which then allows you to use the arrow keys to move the dialog box back onto the screen.”

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/arcpro-dialog-boxes-showing-up-halfway-off-screen...

Or alternatively:

“Press <alt> <space> and then press <x>”

https://community.esri.com/t5/modelbuilder-questions/modelbuilder-window-opens-outside-screen-area/m...

I’ll try one of those workarounds next time I have that issue.

HollyTorpey1

This would be great. I'm a little embarrassed to admit how long it sometimes takes me to realize that my dialog is already open and waiting for me on a different monitor while I click away in frustration trying to figure out why it's not opening. I always want my dialogs to open on the same monitor that Pro is currently on, but instead they seem to open in the #1 screen by default. 

Bud
by

@HollyTorpey1 

I'm a little embarrassed to admit how long it sometimes takes me to realize that my dialog is already open and waiting for me on a different monitor while I click away in frustration trying to figure out why it's not opening.

Same here!

ZeminDhanani

@KoryKramer @JonathanNeal Looks like a lot of people would like this to be implemented. Is this something that is not easy to implement into the software? If it easy to implement do you need any additional information from us? 

JonathanNeal

@ZeminDhanani From the technical standpoint:
Previously open windows size and location, View or Pane locations, and other settings are at this file path: %localappdata%\ESRI\ArcGISSettings.xml

These settings are saved when Pro closes.  You can delete it and it will re-generate to defaults (Windows open in the same screen as pro with no size changes).  

It would be best for Framework team + @DavidKwong2 to evaluate this one since they would be doing the work.

EarlMedina

@ZeminDhanani We have actually worked on improving the location of dialogs as part of the next ArcGIS Pro release. The challenge here is that what one person prefers may not be what another prefers. Some people want dialogs to always open the screen ArcGIS Pro is on, others may want dialogs to open in their last known position. 

The solution we have landed on is to strike a balance between both:

• The first time a dialog is opened, it will appear on the screen where Pro is displayed.
  • The last position and size of the dialog will be remembered.
  • For multi-monitor setups, when the Pro application is moved onto a new monitor, for example from Screen #1 to Screen #2, the dialog location will be reset and will appear on the same monitor as Pro (Screen #2 in this example).