Multiple monitor support

10-26-2010 04:13 PM
FranzBruyere
New Contributor II
I believe more people are starting to use multiple monitors.

I would like to see multiple monitor support (ie, menu bars, pin-able windows, etc) to a second monitor to increase the 'screen area' for the project.

Thank you.

(I asked at the seminar today and was told it didn't use multiple monitors)

10 Comments
Drew
by
I am able to pull all the panels and toolbars out to a second monitor already using ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1.
CarstenSchuermann
Multiple monitor support should also include option to extend the map window to two or more monitors.
ChrisMathers
@cgishack I think the idea is not to just drop your things on the other monitor but to allow them to snap together on the othe monitor in the same way they do on the actual arcmap 10 window.

It is possible to just resize your window to cover both monitors but your map would be across both screens making edits across the gap annoying. Now if the map was actually a window within arcmap that could be independently resized this would be feasable.
CPoynter
I have been using two monitors for several years with different versions of ArcGIS. Not sure if I have understood Rapier216's original post idea, but like cgishack, I pull out the panels and toolbars to a second monitor when needing to see large map areas for editing, etc. See the attached Windows OS Display Properties > Settings options to stretch one screen across at least two screens.
0EM30000000CmM2
KellyGerrow
 Can you explain a little more about your limitation with multiple monitors?
JoshWhite
@astauffer While I am not Rapier216 I think I know where this user is coming from.  In Windows 7 there is the option of snaping to certain parts of the screen and in ArcMap 10 this is similar functionality to this as well but the problem is just as clm42 commented the map may need to be an independent window so that the map doesn't go across the gap just the toolbars/tables/other windows.  I am moved items around to make this work but I think a bit more working on this may be in order. 
TerryStaggs
I've been hoping to see this idea for a long long time now.
What I would like to see, and I think it is what the Rapier216 was trying to describe is having an ArcMap/ArcCatalog/ArcScene/ArcGlobe Desktop configuration option that would allow one monitor, ALL of it's screen acreage, to be devoted exclusively to the map window. No Toolbars, menu bars, etc. ONLY the Map window. Then, on the second monitor would reside the toolbars, menubars, etc.

Back in the late 80's Intergraph had a set-up like this for drafting and it was very ergonomic I thought.

Now then, you can kind of accomplish this at present. But, you have to do it by having all your tool bars free floating and it just ends up being a pain to implement and when you restart, you have to move your toolbars all over again. So, it is not practical at present.

With the proliferation of multiple monitor configurations, I would really hope to see this implemented to take better advantage of the ergonomic capabilities!
AndrewQuee
My organisation has been dual-display almost from the start.  I can highly recommend one display dedicated to the map window only, and most toolbars and inforamtion windows on the second display.

The one problem, as mentioned many times, is that not all display elements will dock to each other, and sometimes they will not honour their placement on re-opening a document.
MichaelGrossman
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in ArcGIS Desktop 10 and ArcGIS Pro 1.0.

In ArcMap, toolbars and map viewer windows can be placed on a second monitor. And panes like the attribute table, python window, catalog, and table of contents can be floated and docked into a window on either screen.

In ArcGIS Pro, float and dock functionality extends to a view types, including Maps, Scenes, Layouts, and Database Design views.