multiple leaders from a single label (i.e. "label clustering")

08-08-2012 03:13 PM
Labels (1)
JeffWielki1
Occasional Contributor

AKA Label Clustering.

Sometimes I have multiple features that I need to be distinct (for example, points that need to remain as multiple visible points as opposed to a clustered single point) but all of those points have exactly the same callout. Manual cleanup ensues, and often times I would like to have a single callout box, with multiple arrows pointing to the various similarly attributed features.

Here's a relatively poor example of what I mean (it would be much cleaner ideally):
0EME0000000TRox

37 Comments
KoryKramer

Thank you for the comment @ChrisScheiner    I took a look and it doesn't appear that you added your kudos to the idea. While comments are important, kudos (the number of votes) that an idea receives is one of the primary pieces of data that we use to determine traction and trends as we monitor idea activity over time.

Please see https://community.esri.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/arcgis-ideas for a high level overview of how ArcGIS Ideas works. For more details, see Frequently Asked Questions about ArcGIS Ideas 

Thank you for your participation in the community and for helping us prioritize future development efforts for ArcGIS Pro.

Cheers,

Kory

DuncanJackson

Yes please

KoryKramer

@DuncanJackson See my comment above. Be sure to add your kudos to ideas for functionality you would like to see in ArcGIS Pro. Thank you!

DEVANBarrett

This feature would be great. I am work within tight areas with the need for multiple layers. Having the ability to have multiple arrows from one label would make my products more professional. 

RoseF
by

For geologic maps, this would also be a really useful technique. You can see on the screenshot I've attached, there are two geologic units -- Qat5 and Kis -- that require the use of two leaders. At the moment, we accomplish this by storing leaders as polyline features in their own feature class. Yes, separate from the annotation they are leadering. 

I will add that it would probably only function as we need it to if it would also be possible to adjust the location of BOTH ends of the leader -- the anchor point as well as the other end point, where the leader "connects" to the label. The automatic spacing/margins are nice, but in a lot of cases, it would be useful to move that point around the label's "box". 

MultipleLeaders.jpg

by Anonymous User

@RoseF  I agree. Yes, we also store leaders as polyline features in their own feature class. Yes, separate from the annotation. We have the lines as red or black with an arrow. We can't get anywhere close to this look by using the actual annotation leader lines. If that functionality could be built in it would be great.

Arrow Example.JPG

wayfaringrob

Adding my support for this! There are many times (for some reason especially in grant applications) where I'll have a small number of one type of feature but putting it in the legend (or having a legend at all) just isn't practical. Being able to do that type of labeling within, well, labeling, would be great.

IlkaIllers1

I don't know how many hours I have spent overlaying identical labels because there was not enough space or it made the map look too cluttered. This is super fiddly work if you want it to look neat since the label has to be in exactly the same spot. This feature could save me sooooo much work! Please add 🙂 

LarsArneson

I think this is a great idea. I just ran into a situation where this would be incredibly useful. Instead I will make a mess with some random shapes and lines that will need to be grouped and won't stay attached to the correct point when I try to move it in a few months 😕

AnneRuthstrom

PLEASE add this feature!  It's silly that so many people need this and it's not included as an option.