Move to a New Computer

06-06-2019 09:02 AM
Labels (1)
ChristinaBoggs-Chavira
New Contributor III

I think keeping the mappy world running is one of my most important things that I keep in mind when I migrate to a new computer but as evinced by my train wreck that was yesterday, I forget about how important that is to me...and how many minutes add up to hours to fix everything again back to how I like it.

It would be really neat if there could be a geoprocessing tool (or python). That could copy all of my folder connections and my database connections and server connections and whatnot...and heck, while I'm dreaming, all the toolbars I have open and where I like them (if you have New, Open, Save, Print anywhere but upper top left, you might be a serial killer).

Dreamweaver has a nice function that lets you save/export all your site information/connections, I suppose that I would like something to be able to export this file and something else to suck it up and move stuff. It might be handy for setting up a new install for an employee who is new to the office. We have some python scripts we use for setting up database connections but all my stupid folder connections that I forgot to even screenshot...are annoying to reconnect.

2 Comments
DaveSelvidge

"...if you have New, Open, Save, Print anywhere but upper top left, you might be a serial killer"

I second this highest and tightest of comments.

NaicongLi
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hello ChristinaBoggs-Chavira,

Thank you for your feedback. The ArcGIS project files (.aprx files) do record all the folder connections in a project, as well as the database connections and server connections in a project. When you open a project file that was copied over on your new computer, these folder connections should be present in the project. You may need to repair these folder connections (for the project home folder and other resource folder connections), if they have a different path on your new computer, by clicking the red ! next to the folder connection. If your experience is different, then could you please provide some clarification - for example, what were the folder connections in your project on you old computer, how the folders referenced by these folder connections were set up on your new computer, and how these folder connections were displayed when you open the project on your new computer, and, if they were broken, whether repairing them worked for you.

Thanks again for your feedback.