Merge + dissolve / Union + dissolve

11-13-2023 09:50 AM
Labels (1)
IlkaIllers1
Occasional Contributor III

Very often, I want to merge + dissolve (or union + dissolve) several layers. It would be so convenient to do this in one step - either have the option in the merge or union tool, or have a new tool that dissolves several layers at once.

Tags (3)
5 Comments
leahmaps

Could just doing a batch of each step (merge/union and dissolve) do what you want? https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/geoprocessing/basics/batch-geoprocessing.htm

IlkaIllers1

I know how to get around it, but this is a common two-step-process that I think would be great to be able to do in one step. 

DuncanHornby

I think the nature of the tools are quite different, merge is simply bringing datasets together, dissolve or union is a geometric operation.  So to combine these disparate operations into a single tool is undoubtedly problematic.  So chaining the tools as you do now is the most robust solution. You can do this in model builder and expose it as a tool. You then get the experience of a single tool interface but behind the scenes its running the tools in sequence. Suggest you explore model builder.

BarryNorthey

As noted elsewhere, the ability to blend GP tools into a single Model tool in ModelBuilder is a powerful option. ModelBuilder allows iteration that might meet your needs. I have also found that building a Task can be very useful blending GP Tools and Commands, etc. Both take a while to master but might save time in the long run. 

IlkaIllers1

Thank you for your answers. I am well acquainted with the Model Builder, but I prefer to work with arcpy instead. I know there is a way to speed it up, I just thought it might be a neat feature for people who start out and don't use either yet.

I understand that merge + dissolve would be difficult since they are different operations. How about the dissolve + union - if they are both geometric operations, would it be easier to combine those two into a single tool?