Map View vs Layout View in the Content Menu

06-28-2021 09:43 AM
Labels (1)
MiguelMartinezYordan
Occasional Contributor

Please let me chose to switch between content view and layout view independently when switching between the map view and map layout, like in ArcMap.

Tags (2)
6 Comments
KoryKramer
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thank you for submitting this idea @MiguelMartinezYordan 

In order for this to be open for voting, we need to understand the request.  When you say "content view" are you referring to the Contents pane?  

So, are you requesting to be able to switch to a layout (Layout view) but not have the Contents pane update to be associated with the active layout view?

KoryKramer_0-1624899238926.png

Please clarify the request so that we can understand what you're looking for.

Thank you!

KoryKramer

Hi @MiguelMartinezYordan I looked at the images that you emailed the Esri Community team (it would be helpful for you to post such images here on the forum).

When a layout is active, it is possible to view a map's contents by expanding the map.

KoryKramer_0-1624910503951.png

I'm sure you are already aware of this.  Could you provide some context as to why viewing map contents like this doesn't work for you?  Or alternatively, given the tabbed contents pane request, can you provide some details around the use case of viewing the layout contents when working in a map view?

Please add your marked up screenshot to the idea's description so that it is clear what the idea is and we can re-open it.

Thanks

KoryKramer

Hi @MiguelMartinezYordan I wanted to check in on this one to see if we can get it moved out of the Needs Clarification status.  I could update your original post with the screenshots that you sent, but we prefer for community members to do that if possible.  Let me know which you prefer.

And if you have any responses to my questions above, those details will provide additional context for the development team.

Thanks

MiguelMartinezYordan

When you have 20 layouts all based on one map, and you need to print or export each layout with different layers on or off, every time you switch between layouts, the layers list collapse and you need to open it again in order to select witch layer will be on or off. If there was a Layout tab beside the content tan, then I can choose to stay always on the content tab while switching between layouts without affecting the layers list nor having to always open the map frame to see the list of layers.

AubriKinghorn

Hello @MiguelMartinezYordan 

I work on the Pro Layout team, and I think I'm starting to understand your issue. Would you mind verifying that I'm interpreting things correctly?

• First, the layers list shouldn't collapse between opening layouts. The map frame expanded state is remembered at the layout level (so if you create the layout with the map frame expanded in the Contents Pane, when you open it again the map frame should still be expanded). If you aren't seeing this, that is probably a bug in the software. Please reach out to tech support so they can log it and get it to the developers.
  • Is this the design you are looking for? Would you want the layout tab viewable at all times in the map? Or only when you have a layout opened? If you do want it viewable at all times in the map view that might be confusing, since any map can have multiple layouts associated with it.AubriKinghorn_0-1625147426134.png

• Are you aware of this idea: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/locked-multiple-layouts-in-arcgis-pro/idi-p/924876? It's not the same as what you are proposing, but the use case is similar. It might be a different way to solve your problem. 

I'm sorry this is a currently a frustrating experience for you, thank you for reaching out. I hope I'm beginning to understand your request.

Cheers,

Aubri Kinghorn

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Closed pending clarification.