Map Topology - Choose which layers participate in shared edge editing

10-30-2023 11:01 AM
Labels (1)
PatrickAllen3
New Contributor III

We run into issues using the Edit/MapTopology Tool. Arc map had a Select Topology Feature dialog box that would be used to select only the features to be used in the Topology for editing multiple features at a time. GIS PRO only has the option to select the feature to be edited in the Table of Contents which works with the topology. We have a feature class to help us make the edits which cannot be in the topology. We have to turn this feature off and on, off and on continuously to help us with our edits. If and when we forget to turn it off for the edits it gets used in the topology and creates Extra vertices everywhere that feature crosses or intersect another feature. Simple solution is to put the select topology options in the table of contents with the other LIST options, so we do not have all the issue we have turning on and off a feature that needs to be used by NOT in the Edit/topology.    

7 Comments
JosphatMutunga
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@PatrickAllen3 Could you please clarify if your request is to provide the ability to control editability of shared edge using Map Topology at LAYER level?  

Note that you can disable editing of a FEATURE by turning off a checkbox next to its selection in the Selection Tree View of Edit Vertices, Reshape or Move tools (tools that currently support shared edge editing using Map Topology in ArcGIS Pro).

JosphatMutunga_1-1698694078120.png

You mention that "If and when we forget to turn it off..." Are you talking about the checkbox I highlighted above or turning layer editability on/off from the List By Editing tab in Contents pane?

PatrickAllen3

The check box unchecked as you demonstrated only controls what is to be edited or not edited under the features selected, not the entire feature class. Seen here the line feature that crosses other features has created vertices everywhere they cross another feature class even with a drawn circle. that entire layer which is our calculation layer can not be in the Edit/Topology, so I have to remove it each time I make a small edit or alignment with my calculation feature. Hope this helps. The Topology layer selection dialog box in ArcMap did just that. It let me work with a feature class without it being in the Edit/Topology.    Will Pro do this?

PatrickAllen3_1-1698698182300.png

JosphatMutunga
Status changed to: Open

Thanks @PatrickAllen3

I've re-opened the idea to be upvoted.

JuanManuelCruzHerrera

no me he enfrentado a una topología en Arcgis pro, he estado con Arcmap hasta hace poco pero si esto es así me parece un erro tremendo del Arcgis pro "otro más por cierto de muchos" y secundo la idea de que esto se implemente en próximas actualizaciones 

JosphatMutunga

@PatrickAllen3 for your last question, I'd like to ask if you are aware of and have tried unchecking the 'calculation' layer on the List By Editing tab in Contents pane? Unchecking the layer here will make the layer not editable. Would this work for your scenario?

PatrickAllen3

This is what my initial post is referencing when I mentioned I have to keep turning the feature on and off continuously, I was speaking of the list by edit in the Table of Contents so it would not interfere or affect the topology editing. 

JosphatMutunga

Thanks for the clarification.