Map Series: Definition Query on Index Layer

01-08-2019 09:58 AM
Labels (1)
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

What would be great is if you could apply a definition query to the Index Layer of a layout.  This way you would only need to create one 'Map' in your project and then you could create multiple different 'Layouts' by just changing the definition query.

Currently the only way to do this is to create a new Map for each Layout you need, and then create the definition query on your Index Layer in the map.

Thanks,

10 Comments
KoryKramer

Seems like there may be overlap with https://community.esri.com/ideas/6648 

BrianBulla

Hi Kory,

I saw that post before posting this.  The Page Definition query is only for that specific map series page.  What I am proposing is a Map Series level definition query that would affect all pages in the map series.

TomBole

HI Brian, 

An index layer is just another layer in the map.  And like any other layer you can apply a definition query. The Map Series should honor the definition query set on the index layer.  You'll need to refresh the map series after updating the definition query on the index layer.

I believe the functionality that you are looking for is already there, unless there is something in your workflow that I'm missing.

Tom

MichaelFalk

If I am reading correctly, I believe I  was doing something similar, creating a new layout and running query for each different admin1, then I just found this option : 

MichaelFalk_0-1648786657901.png

now what I am trying to figure out is how to have the page definition for certain layers match a field other than the page name... or figure out how to do this in a query, I'm lookin to see if there is a way to write a query that references the index layer  in the map series but looks at a different field than the name field.

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

As illustrated in Tom's comments, definitions queries are supported on index layers. You just set them in the map instead of the layout. This idea needs some further clarification so we can understand what exactly is desired. 

MichaelFalk

Basically, I think the feature we want is  : For different layers, Allow the page query to be run on an alternate attribute ( currently you can only run "page query"  on the field the data driven pages are being generated from). 

AubriKinghorn

@MichaelFalk I'm still confused, what would you like the query to be run against? How would it be updated per page? We use the name of the page for a page query because it must exist for each page and can always be checked against. You can use any field in your layer as long as it has the same values as the page names, the layer field's don't have to match. I'm not sure what else we would check against. 

If you need something to be updated on only a few pages, custom automation with arcpy.mp is the best way to go. Unfortunately, the Pro interface can't cover every potential mapping scenario because the logic can change from organization to organization and map to map. However, you can set custom logic and rules using Python to meet your needs in these situations.

TalbanKantala2

Any updates on implementing definition queries in map series? I often work with large datasets containing 100,000+ features. It would be great if I could use a definition query to show multiple features on one page within a map series. Currently, map series limits users to showing only one index feature at a time, which is unfortunate.  The work around as mentioned by a previous user in the above is to make multiple maps and new layouts, which in my case this can get tedious and requires me to create hundreds of maps manually, as well as apply the specified definition query for each map. 

What is the point of a map series if you can't utilize it to automate and streamline your map building process? Hoping someone from ESRI will solve this issue someday...

TalbanKantala2

If adding a definition query to map series isn't the right route to go. What about an option that will allow map series to loop through a range of values in the index layer? For example, if the index layer has multiple features with the same value (this would be based off of the "Name Field") show all of these on one map series layout page, then followed by the next unique value and so on as the series builds out.

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Closed

You can apply definition queries to an index layer as requested in the original idea. The comment section has other suggestions that can be added as new ideas or connected to existing ideas. Additionally, the new thematic map series, introduced in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 may help with some workflows.