Select to view content in your preferred language

Make extent indicator "callout to edges" lines connect to the same corners on both map frame and indicator box

05-23-2023 11:15 AM
Labels (1)
HollyTorpey_LSA
Frequent Contributor

Issue: When I add an extent indicator to a map layout with an inset map and chose "callout to edges" in the Leader section of the extent indicator's element properties pane, the callout line connection points differ between the map frame and the indicator box. I think it would make more visual sense if these connection points were consistent. 

Idea: I would like to see these corners be the same two corners on both the indicator box and the map frame.

Examples:

In the screenshot below, the connection points on the map frame are different from the connection points on the indicator box. I think that if the lines connect to the top left and bottom right of the map frame, they should also connect to the top left and bottom right of the indicator box representing the extent of that map frame.

HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1684864862539.png

Here's what I would like to see:

HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1684866274037.png

Likewise, if the callout leaders connect to the two top corners of the map frame, they should connect to the two top corners of the indicator box to create a sort of 3-D popout effect. In the image below, they connect the bottom corners of the indicator box to the top corners of the map frame, which to me is visually confusing/jarring.

HollyTorpey_LSA_2-1684865073918.png

Alternate idea: It would also be fine if the callout lines could be edited (if this is already possible, please let me know how to do it!). Then we could simply snap them to whatever corners we want.

Workaround: My current workaround is to not use the leader lines, but instead add graphic lines to my layout and group the features. This is okay, but it sure would be great if I could just use the built-in functionality.

Here are the element properties I'm referring to: 

HollyTorpey_LSA_1-1684864947916.png

Thanks!