Make ArcGIS MacPro retina capable

03-05-2013 04:37 PM
NicholasGellie
New Contributor III
The present ArcGIS desktop software does not display properly in Windows7 running bootcamp on a Macintosh Retina Pro.  The menus and text come as low resolution and so I cannot use ArcGIS on this hardware platform for my business.

I would like to get support from the ideas community to get the next versions of ArcGIS Desktop to run on high resolution screens like the Macintosh Retina Pro so that we can use the power of the high resolution screens now available.  ArcGIS would also look fantastic on the Macbook retina pro display.

I have MS Office 2003, a ten year old Microsoft Office program that can run at high resolution on my MacBook Retina Pro notebook.  So why can't ESRI use the same font rendering technology as MS Office in their software.
9 Comments
NicholasGellie
The present ArcGIS desktop software does not display properly in Windows7 running bootcamp on a Macintosh Retina Pro.  The menus and text come as low resolution and so I cannot use ArcGIS on this hardware platform for my business.

I would like to get support from the ideas community to get the next versions of ArcGIS Desktop to run on high resolution screens like the Macintosh Retina Pro so that we can use the power of the high resolution screens now available.  ArcGIS would also look fantastic on the Macbook retina pro display.

I have MS Office 2003, a ten year old Microsoft Office program that can run at high resolution on my MacBook Retina Pro notebook.  So why can't ESRI use the same font rendering technology as MS Office in their software.
AndrewOrr
Good idea, but I suspect the problem is due to either Bootcamp drivers or on the Windows 7 side. 
Sadly, I highly suspect Esri will never introduce a compatibility to help us Mac people. 
Sebastian_AlexanderPhilipp
hiDPI displays are coming more and more into the market. ESRI should react and give us an update. Good Idea!
DouglasTurner1
Let's "beat the drum" though.  ESRI - we need full power on a Mac.
CarlosPeralta

I agree, things look horrible for me also - I'm running Windows 8 on the Retina MacBook Pro, and everything is so tiny. It's a pity that Esri isn't taking advantage of high resolution laptops, such as the Retina Mac's.

Not that it solves the problem; but our options right now are to just lower the resolution on the Mac, or use an external monitor. The problem isn’t Apple or Microsoft – their drivers are fine. It’s Esri that needs to support a 2560x1600 screen resolution without distorting menus.

HerbKuehne
It's now August 2014 and still the problem persists.  Agonizingly annoying.  Come on, ESRI!!!!

Have found with ESRI Support that changing Windows "Theme" to Windows Basic 7 helps somewhat.  Still, the program acts wierdly in that set up.   Hope to find a better work around ASAP.
HerbKuehne
Yes, ESRI needs to catch up.  

But here's a gentle workaround that I discovered after much fiddling, in bootcamp.

In Windows 7 Pro 64 GB at least, there are some screen "themes" that we can choose from.  I changed mine to Aero's  "United States" theme.  It's got a "windows Color - Custom" color scheme.

And so far, ArcMap is working fine, at all resolutions, even one of the highest 2880-1800.  That's a resolution too fine for my eyes, but at 1600-1200, all seems well enough....at least for now.

Still, ESRI, catch up to RETINA and serve MAC users a lot better!
JamesShute

Wow....4 years later and this hasn't been addressed?

https://www.keycdn.com/blog/responsive-images/ 

Esri:  PLEASE build this into Portal 10.5.1!

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Closing this idea. Please see Run ArcGIS Pro on a Mac for current information.

Thank you