Maintain relationship classes when using the Project tool

11-25-2019 06:27 AM
Labels (1)
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This idea is being posted as the part of Maintain attachments and relationship classes when using the Project tool that has not been implemented.  ArcGIS Pro 2.5 (January 2020) will add Maintain Attachments (Environment setting)—Geoprocessing | ArcGIS Desktop to the Project tool.

Please vote here and add your use case in the Comments if you have workflows requiring the Project tool (or GP tools other than Copy which does currently maintain relationship classes) to maintain relationship classes.

Thank you.

10 Comments
AlinaTaus

I need to use Project during my post-processing of data collected in the field with high-accuracy GPS units. We are able to record orthometric heigths directly in the filed thanks to EOS and the newer version of Collector, but the elevation is in meters and we work in feet. So I would like to use Project to convert the Z from meters to feet and be able to keep any existing attachments.  

KoryKramer

Hi Alina, what other relationship classes do you have besides attachments?  You will be able to maintain your attachments using the Project tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.5, which is scheduled for January 2020.  We're interested in understanding more about workflows where users have relationship classes (that are not attachments).  

Thank you.

AlinaTaus

Hi Kory,

My apologies, I should have read the post more carefully. That's the only workflow I have involving the Project tool.  

KoryKramer

Thank you, Alina.  Then the good news is that you will soon have this functionality in Pro 2.5!

Cheers

AlinaTaus

Yes! Thank you ESRI for making this available soon!! 

FrankMancini

Will these tools also be updated in Desktop (ArcMap/ArcCatalog)?  Or just in ArcPro?

KoryKramer

Hi Frank - I responded regarding maintaining attachments over on this thread https://community.esri.com/ideas/13553 

As for maintaining relationship classes, this work is currently not planned, so I wanted to spin off that piece specifically as its own idea to help gauge demand from the user community.

Thank you

LisaMcAleer

Go Pro.  Just sayin'.

MelanieZahab

We have a use case: receiving geodatabase from external resource with all data in one coordinate system, but it needs to be projected for analysis.  There are several attachments and relationship classes between feature classes in the geodatabase that need to be maintained. Importing them to a feature dataset does not preserve the relationship classes. Many thanks!

SteveXu

Our spatial datasets and feature classes are in custom coordinate system which doesn't have a WKID. Now, we found one of the out of box Esri coordinate system can be used. We will reload all of our data into a new geodatabase. However, I haven't found a tool which can project the old dataset/feature class with its relationship classes to standalone tables or simple feature classes to a new geodatabase. The project tool can work for a dataset with relationship classes which are related to feature classes in the same dataset. If the related feature classes or tables are not in the same dataset, the Project tool doesn't work. Can you help? Thanks