Maintain legend format when switching map frames

08-13-2021 06:58 PM
Labels (1)
SBrandenburg
New Contributor III

When you change the map map frame, you lose all the legend formatting. You go through the trouble of making a legend which can be quite time consuming, and want to recycle it with a similar map, but when you switch the maps in the map frame, the legend resets itself to the defaults. 

Tags (1)
7 Comments
AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: In Product Plan

We are working on legend styles, which will let you save legend formatting to a style and apply it to any map frame. 

David_Brooks

Ive found a workaround to this. You need to cut the legend > relink the map frame > then paste the legend back in. Works for me

JenniferBorlick

@David_Brooks Brilliant! Thanks. Now to remember to do it. 

SBrandenburg

The equivalent of a layer file, but for the legend. It would set all the formatting automatically, for things like font and font size for each class, spacing, indentation, alignment...etc. I am constantly changing my layouts, even when I set them how I want them in my templates. Doesn't seem to matter. ArcPro always is changing my layouts. Doesn't matter if I check sync fonts when adding new items. It literally does not matter. ArcPro will change your legend for you, in all the worst ways. 

I would love an option when my map is ready to export to PDF, that I just apply all the legend settings all at once. 

JeffBarrette
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Good news.  At Pro 2.9 we are introducing the Legend and Legend Item styles.  There will be a gallery of styles to choose from when you insert a new legend or legend item.  The styles can be modified and shared like other styles in the Pro application.

Jeff - Layout and arcpy.mp teams.

SBrandenburg

Sweet that's great to hear Jeff. Legends are a very time consuming part of producing maps with ESRI software. Glad to see this is getting implemented. 

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.  See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 2.9 and go directly to 3:13 in the video.