Locking/ tacking objects in a layout

06-18-2010 09:22 AM
ChrisMathers
Occasional Contributor III

Moving objects in the layout accidentally is really annoying, especially if you are using a layout as a template for a bunch of maps. I would like to see objects be able to be tacked in place on the layout so they dont move. An option on the context menu that makes an object "sticky" or not.

5 Comments
ArcGISUser
YES!!  This is something I wanted for a long time!  I would like to be able to right-click on a map element in the layout view and select LOCK.  If locked, then select unlock.  Thanks!
JurajKrumpolec
 Required.
HeatherEisan
Have you looking into the Layout Window it has locking and unlocking map element capabilities.  This functionality is available in the Production Mapping extension.
MikeHerrmann1

I ask that the locking/unlocking functions be made available to modify through python.  I have the production mapping extension and certain map text elements are locked in the layout using the lock function from the Production Cartography tool. Once locked, however, those text elements can't be modified/updated using python.  

I thought I'd first try piggybacking my suggestion on this idea before creating its own.

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Implemented

Locking, unlocking, and changing the visibility of layout items is available in ArcGIS Pro.