Select to view content in your preferred language

Let users define graticule tick and label parameters in points

07-31-2024 09:39 PM
Labels (1)
GM1
by
Occasional Contributor

In ArcMap:

• The ruler along the top of my layout can be in cm with mm stops (a good resolution for making maps for publication), and
  • I can define tick length and label offset for graticules and grids in points (handy when making really fine maps).

In ArcGIS Pro:

• While I can set the page units to be centimetres to achieve a helpful ruler for my layout,
  • I don't seem to be able to define tick length and label offset for graticules and grids in points, only centimetres.  This does not give me the fine resolution I need.

Suggested resolutions:

• Let users enter the unit after numerical parameters and have the software understand and act accordingly (like Adobe Creative Cloud software does).
  • Offer users the ability to define tick length and label offsets in points.
  • (If user error / naivety which I acknowledge it could be, please point me in the right direction.)

ArcGIS Pro grid settings like tick length use cmArcGIS Pro grid settings like tick length use cm

ArcMap grid settings like tick length use ptsArcMap grid settings like tick length use pts

ArcMap grid label offset setting uses ptsArcMap grid label offset setting uses pts

1 Comment
JesseWickizer

The tick length, tick offset, and label offset for graticules and grids use the page units defined in the layout's ruler. If you want to set the tick length in points, first change the ruler units to points by right-clicking the ruler and choose Ruler Properties.