Let us create an alias for connected folders in ArcGIS Pro

10-08-2018 09:05 AM
Labels (1)
deleted-user-sYHsW3p_gN5o
Occasional Contributor II

Often I have two or more folders with the same name, in different places on my organization's network. The name "GIS" can be very common for folders. So when I connected to multiple of these folders in the same Project, I get this:

And, as far as I can tell, if I try to "rename" these folders in Pro, it's actually renaming my folders. If we could create an "alias" for the folders, I could call these "I:/GIS" and "S:/GIS" and I wouldn't be confused.

26 Comments
KoryKramer

This will be included in ArcGIS Pro 2.9, planned to be available by the end of the year - probably some time in November.  Sorry for the wait!

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This is implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.  See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 2.9 or go to 5:56 directly in the video.

by Anonymous User

Hi @KoryKramer ! What a great add in 2.9. But I'm using 2.9.3 and now we need to be able to add Alias Name to the items in the Favorites tab!! 

AndreaB_0-1652807149760.png

KoryKramer

@Anonymous User please see https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/make-folder-favorites-references-again/idi-p/1091050 and add your kudos there! In the comments I provided an explanation that the way Favorites are managed is different than folder connections so it will require different development work, but we are aware of the issue.

Thank you!

by Anonymous User

ok, turns out I already did! thanks!

DavidCakalic

I didn't realize this was implemented... has bothered me for a LONG time and was about to suggest if nobody else had. Thanks for the link to video as well.

Would like to be able to use symbols within the alias....    "F:\Montana\GIS"  would look nicer than my alias of  "F Montana GIS"   or   "F GIS".