Layer dependent layout text element

12-16-2021 08:24 AM
Labels (1)
EulessNick
New Contributor III

Have  the visibility of any text element or marginalia element be dependent on the visibility of a feature layer. So a text element would have a properties setting of "Contingent on" and you could select a list of layers that if any of those layers are visible, then the text element is visible. This could also be legends, north arrows, logos, etc...

Case use - I have a property owner notification map that I do every time there is a case coming up before the City Council. Once I set the location, I turn on a set of layers to show zoning, export the map, then switch to a set of layers that show an aerial photo, and export the map again. I have a text element that states when the aerial photo was taken, and a text element that says "Zoning data current through XX/XX/2021" to show that the data is reflecting the latest zoning cases. But I don't need both of those elements on for both maps.

I would like to link the "Zoning Data Current ..." text element to the zoning data layer to only appear when that layer is visible. Conversely I want the date of the aerial photo to only appear when the aerial photo layer is visible. I also have a disclaimer that differs depending on which layers are visible, and I like to include the logo of the aerial photo provider on the aerial photo map.

This could either be a hard coded option or you could add the ability to control this with Arcade expressions.

1 Comment
AubriKinghorn

@EulessNick While your idea hasn't been implemented, I think the new thematic map series introduced in 3.2 might help you out. You can use the Description dynamic text element specific to the thematic map series type to add text to only that page.