Indicate that ArcGIS Pro is loading when creating a new mobile geodatabase

04-12-2023 03:16 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 3.1.1; mobile geodatabase

Creating a new mobile geodatabase in Catalog takes some time. There doesn't seem to be an indication that ArcGIS Pro is loading/processing while the new mobile geodatabase is being created.

Video:

I wonder if new users might not realize that Pro is processing during that time; they might think it has crashed. I know I did when I first started using mobile GDBs in Pro.

Is there anything that can be done to communicate to the user what's happening -- such as a progress bar, a loading wheel, etc.? For example, when I create a file geodatabase, I see a loading wheel next to the folder name:

Bud_0-1681337107471.png

But I don't see a loading wheel when creating a mobile geodatabase. (I do see a loading wheel when deleting the mobile geodatabase, just not when creating one.)

Could that UI behavior be improved? It's a small thing, but small things add up to an overall positive/negative user experience, so I thought I'd ask.

Esri Case - 03318871 Catalog doesn't indicate that ArcGIS Pro is loading when creating a new mobile geodatabase

Support says an internal Esri bug was reported: ‘Progress Indicator not showing in catalog when creating new mGDB’

1 Comment
SSWoodward
Status changed to: Closed

Thanks @Bud,

I can see how that would be confusing.  I can reproduce this in 3.1 and it looks like a bug to me. I'll bring it up to the right folks.  I'd advise logging a bug for it as well.