Indexing Capability for ArcGIS 10 Mapbooks (data driven pages)

05-12-2010 06:36 AM
Labels (1)
RegisDognin
New Contributor II

I am hoping to be able to use Data Driven Pages in ArcGIS 10 to create mapbooks.  I have used (30-day trial) software from MapLogic called "Layout Manager" (one time intial cost $1200 - my City cannot pay).  It is the industry leader for the moment.  One strong capability of that software is indexing.  Lets say you create a "Fire District Map" showing the city's roads, streets, hydrant locations, and more.  THERE MUST BE AN INDEX FOR EVERY MAPBOOK (if desired).  The index software figures out for every segment of road or streets which pages of the mapbook contain these streets.  Long Hill Ave may appear on 6 different pages.  It must list those pages.  Constitution Boulevard will also appear an many pages.  The index will tell you which pages to look for that Boulevard.  Huntington Circle will be on one page only.  The index confirms which page.  The index is usually located as a separate section at the end of the mapbook.  The user should have options as to how the index is formated (font, font size, comma delimited page numbers, 1-2-3 column formating, in alphabetical order with option for a break and large capital letter between each alphabet group, page numbering, and so forth.

A fireman going to a fire needs to quickly see which page(s) of the mapbook he needs to turn to to get to the fire and find the hydrant location.  It may be a matter of life or death.  An INDEXING CAPABILITY is VERY IMPORTANT!

[To my knowledge, ArcGIS 10 does not have this capability yet.]  I have been asking ESRI about this.

34 Comments
KoryKramer

How are you creating your index features?  Grid Index Features—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop ?

For the index page that you're asking about, can't you just print a map showing the labeled index layer where the label uses both the page name and page number?

For the export part, would you be able to add a PDFpagename field to the index layer that concatenates the Page Number and Page Name, use the PDFpagename field as the Map Series name field?  Then when you export to individual PDF pages, you can use the name and each file will have the concatenation appended.

emmornile1

Kory,

This request is about enhancements not looking for a work-around.

I am creating a map series using a feature class, but would like the index sheet a part of the original export with all pages, not a separate PDF which I would have to edit into the whole series. I have done this in the past with 10.X by using scale dependencies and an index sheet feature.

For the export part you are right I could add a field, but the new Sort Field functionality is what I want and is present in the TOC, but no where else.

Emmor

KoryKramer

Here is the most up-to-date ArcGIS solution that contains the ability to generate a street index. 

Introduction to Fire Service Maps—ArcGIS Solutions | Documentation

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Under Consideration