Including Graphics Layer in Legend in Layout

11-03-2022 11:58 AM
Labels (1)
Jacob_Helfman
New Contributor III

I often find myself quickly sketching features to show in a map, which I usually don't need to use again - a graphics layer comes in handy for this. However, I found that when creating a legend in a layout, the legend does not show my graphics layer (even though it has it in the Contents pane). Additionally, I find that Legends may take an very long time to load, given the number of layers in a map. My idea would be to allow Legends to include only those layers which are turned on and to (more importantly) show all layers/features, including graphics or graphics layers. Note: The graphics layer in my screenshot is shown in the Map Frame's extent. 

This may count as a separate idea/suggestion: I find that adjusting the vertical spacing between the classes/labels within layers to be somewhat difficult. I would prefer these types of adjustments to be more intuitive to avoid the need of exporting as a graphic. 

Tags (2)
2 Comments
AdrianaAbramovich

Hi Jacob,
I recommend

1-convert the graphic layer to a feature using Graphic to Features. Add a field to name the feature.

2- From the insert tab, add a legend. Then select Legend items > Show Properties. After that, on the Feature display options > check the box, only show the feature visible.

Hope this helps. Adriana
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Jennifer_Parmeley

Technically this works @AdrianaAbramovich but it defeats the purpose of a quick easy sketch (or point). Your workflow takes me back to 2003 when we had shapefiles stacked up 20 high to get all the items we needed on a map. Having a graphics layer show in a legend would be a more efficient use of our time and a require less storage space and management. 

In the image you can see the graphics layer is on, but not showing in the legend. I got the oversample point, because I exported it as a feature and now have it in a geodatabase. It is the only thing in this geodatabase, all my other spatial data is from portal resources. 

oversample.jpg