Improvement polygon volume

07-17-2019 02:33 AM
Labels (1)
StephanieGoudeseune
New Contributor II

In version 2.4, the performance of the Polygon Volume GP tool has improved significantly.

Since we calculate a lot of volumes for huge areas with a lot of polygons, the performance of the tool is essential for us:

To follow up earthmoving works, we want to see the value of volume below a plane and above a plane. Currently, I need to run the tool twice to get both values for each polygon. Once with the parameter 'Calculate above the plane', a second time with the parameter 'Calculate below the plane'.  I would like to have the option to choose 'Calculate Both'.

Advantages:

1. The user only needs to run the tool once

2. Most importantly, this could make the tool perform even better: The tool can collect the part of the TIN to cover the polygon, and make immediately 2 calculations on this.

Tags (2)
5 Comments
KoryKramer

Have you played with Interactive cut and fill basics—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation ?  I'm not sure if it would accomplish exactly what you're looking for, but if you haven't tried working with it, seems like it could be interesting to your work.  Of course if you're trying to process many polygons at once, the tool would be necessary.

StephanieGoudeseune

Hi,

We indeed often need to calculate a lot of volumes in a lot of polygons (hundreds or thousands), so the Interactive cut and fill doesn't help us out for this.

The time needed for calculation more depends on the amount of polygons than on the total surface of the calculation. This is why I proposed the above.

ClaytonCrawford
Status changed to: Under Consideration

PedroDoll

I would add the option to choose the type of surface the volume is compared to. For example, by interpolating the vertices of the polygon, instead of a plane of a unique height

AmeliaBradshaw
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.1. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.1.

The Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.1 blog will be wrapped up soon. Once complete, I will add the link to this comment.