Select to view content in your preferred language

Improve ArcGIS Pro performance when loading large number of unique values for symbology

11-13-2022 03:35 PM
Labels (1)
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I keep hitting a performance issue with ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2. I have a modern i7 computer with 32GB of Ram, so I'm pretty sure its not a hardware issue, or anything to do with graphic drivers.

I do a lot of work with mapping rivers and something that works flawlessly in ArcMap is to colour code the river network by a specific attribute, such as catchment ID. In large network layers there may be many thousands of catchment ID's which means you have many thousands of symbols.

ArcGIS Pro grinds to a halt when loading up >80,000 symbols to the point I just give up. Yet ArcMap loads that up no problem! How does a 32bit app out perform a modern, built from the ground up, 64bit app?

Now before you all start saying who would want to visualise 80,000 symbols in a map layout, well no-one, including me, BUT it's very useful to colour code the data as such when analysing the data and visually working out why something else is happening.

I've been throwing these sorts of symbology demands at ArcMap for years and its never let me down!

ArcGIS Pro needs to be able to load up layers with tens of thousands of symbols in a couple of minutes, as right now I can't really do what I want to do.

As way of example ArcMap loads up 80,000 symbols in about 2 minutes, Pro has been chugging away for over 30 minutes and nothing...

DuncanHornby_0-1668382448879.png

I'm going to bed... 😞

1 Comment
AmeliaBradshaw
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.1. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.1.