import metadata from existing, and export FGDC HTML format in ArcGIS 10

10-19-2010 09:55 AM
AmandaFrick
New Contributor II
Please bring back the ability to import metadata from existing GIS layers, and export to FGDC CSDGM HTML format. I am going to coworkers who have ArcGIS 9.3.1 to be able to do my job. I am using ArcGIS 10, and I don't have time to recreate metadata from scratch. Even with the fgdc add-in editor (http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/arcgisdesktop/archive/2010/06/25/FGDC-Metadata-Editor-for-ArcGIS-10.... I have to copy an existing .xml to the new .xml and unlike 'import' in 9.3.1 did, a copy doesn't update spatial extent or definition, nor the dates or file names and some of the information is not editable in the fgdc add-in (this copy technique was the option suggested when I submitted a problem report to tech support!). Also, I cannot output anything but .xml format, and certainly not FGDC CSDGM HTML format, which I was providing with oil spill data. I should not have to revert back to ArcGIS 9.3.1 in order to produce accurate metadata in the desired format. Why would ESRI turn the clock back on the ability to create metadata when there is such a big push to have it?