Select to view content in your preferred language

Import/export GP tool parameters to file

12-14-2023 07:06 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

It would be great if we could export geoprocessing tool parameters to a file and store the file on a network drive. Then a different user could import those GP settings at a later date. Similar to field calculator scripts.

I'm aware that we can export a tool to Python code. Or make a model/toolbox. Those work as expected, but we're looking for something easier and lower risk for non-expert users. We still want our users to interact with and populate tool parameters; we just don't want them to have to manually fill in the parameters unnecessarily.

3 Comments
AlfredBaldenweck
MErikReedAugusta

I regularly call tools from the History when I'm building & testing tools, because then it auto-populates with whatever inputs were used in that particular run of the tool.

I've never thought to take that kind of approach when I'm providing the tools to my team; I usually bake the defaults into the tool.

But obviously, that only works with the tools I'm writing, and not the native ones.  I can see a few uses for this kind of functionality.

AlfredBaldenweck

Oh, I didn't understand what you were getting at. Yes, this would be a great option for native tools.