Hide desktop folders from "computer"

03-14-2023 08:08 AM
Labels (1)
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

In the catalog/contents pane and browse boxes, under computer, are folders that live on my desktop. I have no use for these folders appearing in Pro, at least like this; they take up a lot of vertical space in the pane and I will never use them in ArcGIS. Could these be collapsed into a "Desktop" category, removed altogether, or perhaps give users the option to specify which containers appear under Computer?

5 Comments
EricAnderson_DHS

Use folder connections then

wayfaringrob

@EricAnderson_DHS  I do use folder connections. Thanks.

EricAnderson_DHS

@wayfaringrob  The advantage of the change is to be able to view everything on your computer without having to manually make folder connections. If you have too much junk on your desktop, it's probably time to clean it up. Otherwise, making a folder connection to a subdirectory which has all your GIS stuff is probably preferred. 

NaicongLi
Status changed to: Under Consideration

JamesMaclachlan

Is it possible to disconnect these unnecessary folders from the catalog contents pane?

I agree with rburke a thousand percent.  These desktop folders are not necessary.  "Cleaning up my desktop" is not a viable solution.  These folders need to be invisible in the catalog contents pane.  I share my screen in Teams meetings quite often and those personal folders can be seen by everyone.

Not only that, the contents of those folders are useless to the GIS software - there is nothing in them except word documents or personal pictures, etc.

Please advise on how I can remove or edit folder connections - especially desktop folders - to "hidden" or "disconnect" them from the GIS catalog. Only folders that I manually connect to should be visible.

thanks.