Select to view content in your preferred language

Graphics Selection Tool in Layout View

02-09-2023 08:26 AM
Labels (1)
MaryDavis1
Occasional Contributor

The Graphics Layer menu has Selection Tools specifically for graphics on Map views, but when I switch to a Layout view and activate the layout, those Selection Tools are not available.  It makes it difficult to position the graphic where I want it on the layout.  I have to keep switching to the Map view to align and back to the Layout view to check it.  Please add the Graphics Selection Tools to the Layout view.

7 Comments
JeffBarrette
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hello Mary,

I'm able to see the select tools after activating a MapFrame on a Layout.

I could be misunderstanding you.

Jeff

JeffBarrette_0-1675972605968.png

MaryDavis1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.  This is what I see; I don't have the Graphics menu when I activate the Layout (using version 3.0.3):

MaryDavis1_1-1676050879633.png

JeffBarrette

Ah, but are you activating the Map Frame on the layout?  The Map Graphics below to the Map.  When you activate the Map Frame, you should see the Map tools available.

Jeff

MaryDavis1

I thought I was activating the Map Frame on the Layout.  I tried it 3 ways -  Layout menu -> Activate; Right-click Map Frame in TOC and Activate; Right-click Map Frame itself on the layout and Activate.  I still didn't have a Graphics menu.

Now, the Graphics menu did appear when I added another graphics layer to the map frame when the Layout was activated.  It does seem that I can't add a graphics layer to a map frame first, then activate the layout to manipulate the graphics.  It only worked to choose Add Graphics Layer on the Layout view.  Maybe this is a bug?  Sorry - I would've submitted it that way if I knew.

JeffBarrette

Mary,

Are you sure the MapView (that you can see the graphics tools) AND the MapFrame are both referencing the same Map?

A Map is a collection of layers and a spatial reference, etc.  To view a map, you open a map view OR you add a map frame that references the map.  When in a layout view, you won't see Map commands unless you active a map frame.  Activating a MapFrame makes it behave like a MapView (within a layout).

If you are doing everything correctly and you still don't see the tools you want, then open an issue with Support.  I can't reproduce your issue so they will need your data/steps.

Jeff

MaryDavis1

Yes, I'm sure.  I'll open a ticket.  Thank you for your help.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Closed

Closing this as an idea since it appears the issue will require troubleshooting.

Thank you.