Geoprocessing Toolset for Creating and Manipulating Annotation Feature Classes

06-04-2020 10:32 AM
Labels (1)
MarkCederholm
Occasional Contributor III

The current trend for automation in ArcGIS Pro is to use the .NET SDK for manipulating records, and Geoprocessing tools to create and modify schema.  However, unless I'm just not seeing it, at this point there is no toolset for creating and manipulating annotation feature classes (e.g. adding/dropping/altering annotation classes).  Working with symbols is a challenge, I know.

In the workflow I have in mind, I'm exporting datasets from an enterprise GDB to a file GDB and massaging them to make them compatible with MMPK creation.  I recently ran into an ArcGIS Runtime 100.8 bug that can't handle the HSL symbol colors in an annotation class, and I'd like to find a workaround that doesn't involve modifying the original source schema.

7 Comments
KoryKramer
MarkCederholm

Yes I have, but it can't be used to create a new annotation feature class from scratch, or add/remove/alter annotation classes in an existing annotation feature class.  As far as I can tell, that can only be automated via ArcObjects, which is the approach I'm currently pursuing for my own issue.

KoryKramer

Got it.  Thank you.

LouisViallet

There is no way to create automaticaly an ArcGIS Pro annotation feature class or linked-annotation feature class (there is only a "append" annotation class tool). The only way is to do that manually from ArcGIS Pro interface (catalog view/panel).

The idea is to add a new tools to create from scratch a annotation feature class in arcpy (or ArcGIS Pro SDK) with all possible configuration.

KoryKramer

Hi @LouisViallet 

We merged your idea with this existing idea.  Please make sure to add your vote to this one.

Thank you!

LouisViallet

New ArcGIS Pro linked-annotation are not supported by ArcMap/ArcObjects. There is no way to create annotation feature class by code.

forestknutsen1

Please allow the creation of annotation feature classes with arcpy.