Select to view content in your preferred language

Geoprocessing derived layer added to map in a different color to the originating dataset

a week ago
Labels (1)
Michele_Hosking
New Contributor III

This is a small thing but would save a lot of annoyance - at least for me.  Can there please be a setting in the options to make it so derived layers from geoprocessing tools are added to the map with a different colour than the layer it was derived from - as it used to be in ArcMap. 

When the derived layer is added with the same symbology you can't see the differences from the original layer and then you have to take the time to change the symbology every single time.  It a small thing but it's just annoying to have to do this all the time.

1 Comment
LindaGreen

I love this idea! Sometimes the inherited symbology is useful, but most of the time it drives me nuts because I can't immediately visually verify my output compared to the input. Even the few instances when I've appreciated inherited symbology are less common now because it's so easy to copy and paste properties between layers; in the rare instance I want to re-use symbology, I can do that in two clicks. 

Instead of completely turning off this behavior though, I'd rather see it become an option, where we can choose to have geoprocessing outputs inherit symbology or not.