Find Duplicates

08-08-2013 02:20 PM
Labels (1)
BartPouteau
Occasional Contributor

It would be very handy if there was a simple way of selecting all the duplicate records in a given field.  There are currently a few scripts/toolboxes out there that do this, but they all require creating new output tables or adding fields.

A number of years ago a downloaded a VBA form from ArcScripts that did this beautifully, but it no longer works in 10.1.

4 Comments
BruceHarold
Hi, doesn't Find Identical help you here?  If you have some more specifics fo your workflow please share them.

Regards
BruceLang
Bruce_harold - I'm at 10.0 and the "find identical" tool is apparently included in an extension I do not have.  The help system does not tell me which extension. :(
BartPouteau
Find Identical tools requires the creation of a new dataset which must then be compared to the origianl data to find any duplicates (fairly cumbersome process if you need to do this for a number of datasets on a regular basis).  The tool I used in the past (from ArcScripts) simply created a new selection in the dataset being analyzed.
BrettShaver

This is a must have idea for ArcPro and I hope it gets implemented.  It's one of the simpler, most common tools used in excel that would greatly improve working with data tables inside of Arc