Find and replace with nothing in Pro attribute table

01-21-2021 12:41 PM
Labels (1)
DanielleKulas
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you so much for adding the Find and Replace function to the attribute table in Pro, it's super useful! In ArcMap, we had the ability to find and replace contents of the attribute table with nothing if we wanted to, but that option is not available in Pro currently from what I can tell. Any way to bring this back? 

My use case is that I'm removing some unwanted HTML from my attribute table. When I set up the find and replace, the arrow(s) are inactive with no value in the Replace box. As a workaround I've been replacing with a space but it would be better if I could just remove the HTML altogether as I could with ArcMap. 

DanielleKulas_0-1611261517926.png

Thanks for your consideration!

14 Comments
DanPatterson

two double(single) quotes is equivalent to an empty string eg ""

it is not the same as None since there is only one None

DanielleKulas

Oh, sorry I should have mentioned that I tried that. It put the "" in the attribute as two quotes though: 

Before

DanielleKulas_0-1611265044794.png

After

DanielleKulas_1-1611265089508.png

DanPatterson

hmmmm  Definitely a good idea!

in the interim a little field calculation

junk0.png

obviously replacing your field name for More_Junk but leaving the enclosing ! !

junk1.png

DanielleKulas

Thanks! I knew there must be a better workaround! I appreciate it.

KoryKramer
Status changed to: In Product Plan

LakshmiSankaran

Yes, please do bring  back the ability to replace characters in the entire table with a blank as is available in ArcMap. We sometimes have to eliminate all special characters in a table in all the fields. This is one step in ArcMap, but "calculating" a replace in multiple fields is too time consuming.

ArcMap Find and Replace.png

Thanks
Lakshmi Sankaran

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.8.

See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 2.8 and (5:51) in the video.

DanielleKulas

Thank you! 🤓

KoryKramer

Thank YOU for pointing it out.

It isn't often in life when you want to replace something with nothing, but when you do, it sure is handy!

LakshmiSankaran

Thank you!!