Feature Linked Annotation, Update Annotation Label Classes

06-21-2018 08:38 AM
Labels (1)
SeanHlousek
Occasional Contributor III

It would be nice if Feature Linked Annotation worked such that Annotation Classes in the original feature class dynamically updated in the feature linked annotation.  

For example, If I have a feature class called "Wells" and I label that feature class based on the size of the well bore: (One label being a certain color/style based on a certain size well bore, Say black & italic for well bore under 1 inch in diameter and another with a different color/style based on a different size of bore - Say brown and regular for well bores greater than 1 inch),  

I generate feature linked annotation so I could update the data in the future.  But management decides that it would like to change the criteria for the labels to well bores under 1 inch being one label style, well bores between 1 and 1 1/2 inches being another, and well bores being 1 1/2 or greater being a third label class.  I can update my symbology and assign new label classes in the "master" feature class, just fine. I can even update the attribute data and those changes carry through to my labels thanks to the labels being feature-linked.  What does not change are the label classes. In order to update those, I have to re-create a new feature linked annotation that I define and then if I edited the original feature linked annotation class I need to redo my edits.  

I'd like Annotation classes to automatically update and have those label classes dynamically update the feature linked annotations so that I do not have to re-edit my data. 

1 Comment
KoryKramer

Are you able to update the annotation class symbology as described here? Display geodatabase annotation—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop