Export XML Workspace (flag to export like ArcMap)

03-24-2021 08:48 AM
Status: Needs Clarification
Labels (1)
New Contributor III

The tool "Export XML Workspace Document" provides a means to export SDE Enterprise Data into XML which can be imported into a file geodatabase. The tool performs differently between ArcMap and Pro.

With ArcMap I was able to run this tool on my enterprise geodatabase that contained unregistered views and the export and reimport regenerated the view data as static in the file geodatabase. It was a fantastic method to perform "static" archives of flattened data. However,

with ArcGIS Pro, the tool behaves very differently, and while it does allow all my standard SDE data and view data to be exported. The tool crashes when the xml is used for import. I reviewed the newer xml schema and it looks like the new tool perhaps rightly identified that globalid's for the exported view data are not true globalid's, etc. Anyway, the tool fails. While this might be the intended behavior of the tool (perhaps the view data would work if registered with SDE), I pine for the older ArcMap abilities and would request an idea to add a flag to the tool to "mimmic" (older xml functionality) .


If this is a bug, then please fix it. Unfortunately, this is an enterprise dataset and I am unwilling to play with registering the views at this time.


Tags (3)
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Hi @KevinMorris2 

I apologize that you're running into a crash.  We want to help investigate and get that fixed, but ArcGIS Ideas isn't the right place to report crashes as explained in the submission guidelines.

2. No bugs please. Idea Exchanges are not the right place to log software bugs or crashes.  Keep in mind that just because it isn’t the right fit as an Idea does not mean that we aren’t here to help.  Bugs and crashes should be logged with Technical Support.  If working in ArcGIS Desktop/ArcGIS Pro, crashes can be reported by sending an error report.   

Given that, if you could please send the .dmp file of the crash that would be helpful.  Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ESRI\ErrorReports and attach a few of the latest .dmp files from Pro crashing.  The filename contains a date-time stamp:


Are you also able to include the .xml that causes the crash?  You can email kkramer@esri.com.  If we need to set up an ftp site to transfer data we can do that.  

Thank you!


At this time, both xml import tools are showing similar behavior (fail due to duplicate column name) in ArcMap and Pro. Due to this, it is suspect that the underlying issue is a duplicate column name in the custom view. I will be reviewing the custom view select statement for duplication and irregularities and convert SELECT * to defined column names if the view used this approach.

As I have used this tool for this database several times with ArcMap, it can only be assumed that versioning of the software or modification of the SQL Server Custom View is responsible.



ESRI identified my issue as a bug.

"First of all, thank you for providing all the information and data so we could test your workflow on our end. After testing this behavior, we have determined this to be a software defect. The reference number is #BUG-000139764 . Its synopsis states, "Import XML Workspace Error 001188: "Cannot create a table with a duplicate column" when using unregistered views"

This bug will now be reviewed by our development team, and they will take further actions as necessary to address this issue as soon as possible. For updates on this issue, please see the My Support portal at http://support.esri.com.

The workaround for this issue in the mean time is to register the views if possible.  "