Export symbology with feature class

10-01-2014 12:39 PM
Labels (1)
JasonKennedy
New Contributor III
Can we please have the ability to export symbology with a feature class / Layer when exporting it to a geodatabase. The process of reassigning symbology can be ultra time consuming.

I had to export feature classes from an SDE to a file geodatabase so that i could publish the features as a service (I will submit one on this as well). I had to go in and reassign symbology for each layer after the export. In some cases I was not able to find the exact symbology so I had to create new. It would be a great feature to just let me/us export it with the data.
3 Comments
IngmarAlbinson
Why implement functionality that already exist?

Feature Class is saved in a database, symbology is saved in mxd.

Export your sde data to a file database, use Set Data Source(s) in ArcCatalog on your mxd and you can easy have exactly the same symbology to file database.

JohnStreeb
Or you could always use the map or layer package functionality as, well, that is pretty much exactly what that functionality was designed to do.  http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00s500000013000000

Plus, there are some other tools in that same toolset in ArcToolbox that would similarly help with that and/or similar types of situations.  Hope that helps.
SSWoodward
Status changed to: Already Offered