Export Domain Usage results to a table

04-08-2021 12:45 PM
Labels (1)
Steve_Salas
Occasional Contributor

The Domain Usage interface in Pro is very helpful, but currently the results are only viewable within that pane.  It would be helpful if the results could be exported to a table (ideally via a tool within Data Management->Domains), perhaps commonly supported formats as we have come to expect with Geoprocessing tools - geodatabase, DBF, TXT, etc.

Once that information is in a table, then it can be used to drive automated reports of domain usage so we know what feature classes or tables are going to be affected by updating one or many domains.  Currently it must be visually filtered in Pro, and then retype that information somewhere else for, say, a manager or data steward to review, or when composing a notification sent to users of an upcoming change.

8 Comments
Map2021

Has there been any progress on this one? I also very interested in a report or table format result for my entire GDB.

Steve_Salas

@Map2021 nothing that I've heard... it remains an "open" "idea".  Share with your friends & coworkers to upvote the idea.  I am not attending the UC this year but if anyone following this idea is, and would like to bring it up with the ESRI geodatabase or Pro teams present, that would be great!  Our organization is not yet fully in Pro so I am relying on some ArcGIS Desktop/Python 2.x tools for now that I wrote to accomplish the same result but they only work for Oracle, and we are getting ready to migrate to SQL Server when we put ArcGIS Pro into production.

mrosekulick

Yes please! Also the ability to batch edit the domains. For example, I want to swap one domain for a new one in 30+ feature classes.

Steve_Salas

@mrosekulick what do you mean by swap?  Change a fields domain from one domain to another domain that already exists in the geodatabase?  For example change a field's domain from dom_A to dom_B...  I'd use https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/assign-domain-to-field.htm 

AdamKarapandzich

Wouldn't even need to be a full export if we could at the bare minimum copy the rows from the Domain Usage tool window and paste them into a spreadsheet.

ClarkLangridge1

I have enterprise geodatabases with hundreds of domains, some of which are definitely now redundant, and the only way I have of cleaning it up is to go through the list of the domains one by one and see if they are still in use or not.  Having a tool that could generate a report would be really helpful for us.

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks for the Idea,

In ArcGIS 3.2 a new tool called Generate Schema Report will provide you with this this type of information. 

Within the report, a single domain can be examined and all fields assigned the domain are easily accessible through automatically generated hyperlinks.  Give this tool a try and let me know if it helps!

Link to Generate Schema Report Documentation 

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Implemented

Thanks to everyone who participated in this conversation!

In the newly released ArcGIS Pro 3.2, users have access to a brand new tool called Generate Schema Report.  This tool allows users to export domains and their assignments to your choice of xlsx, json, html, or pdf. On the domains page of the excel output, users are able to see exactly where a domain is assigned.

Check out this new blog from Jonathan Murphy on the geodatabase team, that goes further into detail about how this new tool can add to your workflows.

Generate Schema Report Blog Post 

For more about what's new from the geodatabase team, check out our what's new in 3.2 post.

What's new in 3.2 from geodatabase

For a bigger picture view, check out our general what's new in ArcGIS Pro 3.2

What's new in 3.2 - ArcGIS Pro