Select to view content in your preferred language

Explore tool: Rectangle Zoom Out keyboard shortcut

05-17-2024 09:51 AM
Labels (1)
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

We have Rectangle Zoom In as a keyboard shortcut with the Explore tool (Shift).

I'd like Rectangle Zoom Out as a keyboard shortcut as well. Perhaps Shift+Z?

Or change the behavior of Rectangle Zoom to match the Zoom created by holding down Z on the Explore tool: If moving from the bottom of the map to the top, zoom out, but if moving top -->down, zoom in.

3 Comments
TimOrmsby

Hi Alfred,

You can create a shortcut for the Rectangle Zoom Out tool using the Keyboard Shortcuts UI. It can be Shift+Z or whatever you want.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/manage-keyboard-shortcuts.htm > Add a new command and shortcut

AlfredBaldenweck

Hi Tim, thank you for the response.

I am currently unavailable to use that functionality (only in v3.1), but I do look forward to using it in the future. However, in this case I am asking to fill in missing functionality in the Explore tool.

As it currently stands, the Explore tool can be modified by holding down keys. We have functionality to Rectangle Zoom, but only in one direction. It stands to reason there should be a keyboard shortcut for both directions as base functionality, without users having to customize their application. We have half of the functionality; I'd like the other half, too.

Furthermore, while reviewing that page you linked, those keyboard shortcuts (again, looking forward to using them!) appear to switch tools or perform specific actions, rather than modifying the current tool like holding down Shift or Z on the Explore tool does. Is it possible to create keyboard shortcuts that modify (or temporarily switch) active tools and I'm just missing it?

TimOrmsby

Hm, to my knowledge you can't change temporarily change the function of a tool with the Keyboard Shortcuts UI. You can create shortcuts for commands that don't have them, and you can change the keystrokes assigned to existing shortcuts, but I don't think you can make a shortcut that assigns new behavior to an active tool.